What is Goods in Transit Insurance?

Goods in Transit insurance covers a business for loss or damage to cargo, stock or other items being transported. Cover can be taken either by the owner of the goods or the haulage business carrying the goods.

Goods in Transit insurance is often automatically included within a commercial package policy and can be an optional extension to a commercial combined policy.


If you own the goods, the price for goods in transit insurance is normally rated on load limit per consignment or vehicle and annual total sendings. For hauliers carrying someone else’s goods the above is considered along with annual charges and a combination of Road Haulage Association (RHA) and Contract de Merchandises par Route (CMR) conditions.

Restrictions can apply to the type of goods carried, security of the vehicle, and there may be a maximum claim payment per tonne. Therefore you should check that conditions do not limit your requirements.

For more flexible cover you may wish to consider a marine cargo policy.


Every business has different insurance requirements & we can advise what you do, and do not, need