Affordable young drivers car insurance with the right level of cover
Learning to drive and passing your test is an exciting time for young drivers as they gain their independence on the roads for the first time. Then comes the not-so-exciting part – finding cheap young drivers car insurance with the right cover.
Sutcliffe & Co Insurance Brokers can offer a range of young drivers insurance options to get you on the road in an affordable and accessible way. Whether you are a learner driver with a provisional licence or young driver who is recently qualified and whether you are borrowing a car or you have your own car we have a range of insurance options that will suit you. All you need to do is answer a few simple questions and get a quote today!
What is young drivers insurance?
Young drivers car insurance policies are specifically designed with drivers aged 17-25 in mind, whether they are on a provisional or full license.
Young drivers are more likely to be involved in an accident and need to make a claim due to their inexperience on the road and therefore the risk of this is balanced out with higher insurance premiums for this age group.
However, although there is no escaping the fact that insurance is more costly when you first start driving, there are still a huge range of policies available with Sutcliffe & Co to help you keep costs as affordable as possible.
What is the best insurance for Young and Learner Drivers?
There are a wide range of young drivers insurance options available, and the one best for you will depend on your specific circumstances.
The type of insurance a young driver needs will depend upon whether you are still learning or if you have passed your test. It will also depend upon whether you own your car or whether you are using someone else’s car.
What is the best insurance for Young and Learner Drivers?
Insurance is not a one size fits all and even more so with younger driver’s and learner drivers’ car insurance. Here are some of the options:
- Young person driving a parent’s or grandparent’s car – this is suitable for people with a provisional licence or full licence who want to be able to drive a vehicle belonging to their parent or grandparent. This insurance will protect their no-claims discount and allow you to drive their vehicle on your own policy. You can even earn your own no-claims discount.
- Learner driver insurance – this can cover you whilst learning to drive in a car belonging to a friend or a family member. This will protect the vehicle owner’s no-claims discount because you will be insured on a separate policy.
- Pay as you go insurance – this will cover young learners and licence holders whilst they are driving parent’s or grandparent’s car and you just pay for the miles you drive. Because this is your own separate policy you can build up a no-claims discount and the car owner’s insurance is protected.
- Black Box Insurance – this is designed to cover cars where the young person or learner is the main driver and allows you to build up your no claims discount. The Black Box monitors driving style and gives a discount for safe driving – unlike some other black box insurers our policy does not have a night time curfew.
- Weekly insurance for students – this allows students at university or boarding school to drive a car belonging to a friend or family member for a short period, whether they have a full or provisional licence. The insurance is for the driver so the vehicle owner’s insurance is protected.
Young drivers insurance on parents’ car
Sharing and borrowing cars is becoming increasingly popular as a way to save money on car insurance, particularly for young drivers. One of the main benefits of this option is that it allows drivers to choose a pay-as-you-go young driver insurance policy, which means they only pay for the miles they drive.
Young drivers insurance on a parent’s car can be a more affordable option for those who may not be able to afford traditional car insurance policies. Additionally, sharing and borrowing cars can be a more environmentally friendly option as it can reduce the number of cars on the road and decrease carbon emissions.
It allows flexibility and convenience as drivers can choose different cars to suit their needs, whether it’s a small car for city driving or a larger car for longer trips. Overall, sharing and borrowing cars is a cost-effective, eco-friendly and flexible way to stay on the road.
How can young drivers lower car insurance premiums?
If you’ve already started researching for insurance you’ve probably found that the premiums are expensive. Over time these will reduce naturally as you become more experienced on the road, but in the meantime there are things you can do to keep your insurance costs down.
If you own your own vehicle or are the main drive our black box insurance for young drivers policy has been shown to be significantly cheaper than ordinary car insurance.
Black box car insurance quotes for young drivers
Black box policies, also known as telematics policies, have become increasingly popular among young drivers. These policies either use an App on your phone or a small device, known as a black box, that is installed in your car to track your driving habits. This data is then used to determine your insurance premium.
Read more about how our black box insurance for young drivers could benefit you.
Factors to consider when shopping for young driver insurance
There are also factors to consider when choosing your car that will help to keep your insurance costs down.
Type of car – All cars are grouped into insurance categories of 1-50, with 1 being the cheapest to insure and 50 the most expensive. Therefore when choosing your new car it is advisable to opt for one of the cheaper options.
Modifications – Make sure that you don’t make any modifications to your car. Unless modifications are approved for improving a car’s security, then they are likely to increase your premiums or could even invalidate your policy. For example, adding a spoiler, new rims, or a new exhaust system to your car may make it look sportier, but it will also likely increase your insurance premium. This is because such modifications are considered to increase the risk and cost of an accident or theft and therefore make the car more expensive to insure.
Staying safe on the road – Another great way to reduce your premiums is to ensure that you are being a safe driver and reducing the risk of accident and the need to claim on your insurance. Insurance companies use various factors to determine your premium, and one of the most important factors is your driving history. If you have a history of accidents or traffic violations, your premium will likely be higher than that of a driver with a clean record.
Car insurance quotes for young drivers
Our handy online quote tool is designed to make the process of getting car insurance quotes for young drivers as straightforward as possible. With just a few clicks, you can get a quote for the coverage you need and make payment all in one seamless process.
HELP ME FIND MY COVER